inspired by common aspirations of their peoples to expand and strengthen cooperation based on the Treaty on Friendship, Cooperation and Partnership between Ukraine and the Russian Federation,
expressing satisfaction with the evolution of their good-neighborly, friendly relations, mutual trust and partnership,
guided by the UN Charter and following the principles of the Helsinki Final Act, including respect for sovereignty and territorial integrity, equality, noninterference into internal affairs,
considering maintenance of peace, stability and development of cooperation in the Black Sea region an important part of collective efforts to create common equal and indivisible security space for all the states of Euro-Atlantic without exception,
understanding their special responsibility, along with other coastal states, for peace and security in the Black Sea region and based on the need for joint efforts in fighting new challenges and threats, including terrorism, proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, their delivery systems and materials belonging to them, drug trafficking, transnational organized crime, illegal migration,
recognizing the importance of strengthening security in the Black Sea, development of cooperation between coastal states in the framework of the existing and possible new initiatives of military-political nature, including the Document on measures to strengthen confidence and security in the marine area of the Black Sea, the Agreement on the Black Sea Naval Cooperation Task Group BLACKSEAFOR, cooperation under Black Sea Harmony operation,
acknowledging that further expansion and strengthening of bilateral cooperation between the Parties in the spirit of good neighborliness and friendship lies in the fundamental interests of their peoples and is an important positive factor of stability, security, development and prosperity in the Black Sea region,
considering the important role of large-scale economic cooperation in strengthening regional security in the Black Sea,
declare the following:
1. The parties, proceeding from the realities of this region, have agreed to develop bilateral dialogue and consultations on security issues in the Black Sea region and welcome participation of all interested states of the region in this process.
2. The Parties expressed their readiness to continue in-depth consultations on key international issues affecting security situation in the Black Sea region and to conduct consultations in the framework of the UN, other international and regional organizations and forums as required.
3. The Parties advocate expanding mutually beneficial cooperation between the Naval Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and the Black Sea Fleet of the Russian Federation.
4. The Parties attach great importance to cooperation between their naval forces, along with the interaction with naval forces of other Black Sea countries, within the framework of the Black Sea Naval Cooperation Task Group BLACKSEAFOR, Operation Black Sea Harmony, as well as multilateral initiatives to combat terrorism and piracy in the Mediterranean and other waters of the world ocean.
5. The Parties express their commitment to full implementation of the agreed confidence-building measures in the Black Sea, considering them an important element of security in the region.
6. The Parties will continue active cooperation to counter threats of international terrorism and transnational organized crime, particularly such as drug and weapons trafficking.
7. The Parties will promote cooperation in fighting illegal fishing and smuggling of marine products, believing that working contacts on these issues between the concerned departments and agencies are useful.
8. The Parties will promote cooperation between agencies responsible for marine safety and improve the exchange of information on safety of navigation in the Black Sea region.
9. The Parties will work together to strengthen the environmental safety of the Black Sea.
10. The Parties will continue to facilitate raising the effectiveness of multilateral activities of the Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation and strengthening favorable political and business climate, confidence and stability in the Black Sea region on that basis.
Kyiv, May 17, 2010